We could have as many as 100 pets at our facility on any given day, and APL depends on hundreds of volunteers each year to help us provide quality care to pets in need.
You can volunteer alone, or as part of a group, at the shelter, or at special events. There is always something you can help with. Contact Us to find out how you can help.
Volunteer at Our Facility
- The pets need care and attention
- The building and pens and grounds need to be maintained
- The pets need to be transported to and from veterinarian appointments and special events.
- Dogs and puppies love to go for walks
- Dog training
- Cat room maintenance at adoption sites
- Our cats can always use some playful attention
- Social interaction with our cats and dogs improves their chance of adoption
- General facility maintenance and repairs
- General yard maintenance
- Volunteers with skills in construction and building maintenance can help with building new projects and improving the existing animal housing, and assist with the upkeep of the facilities and grounds as well.
Volunteer at Special Events
APL sponsors a number of annual and special events to raise funds for the shelter. It takes a lot to make these events successful, and APL can always use your help. Listed below are some of the regular events
- Adopt-a-Pet Saturdays: The APL’s twice monthly adoption event at PetSmart in Lexington on Highway 378, Lexington Pavillion, offers many opportunities for volunteers. Prior to each event, help is needed bathing and grooming pets. On the morning of the event help is needed transporting the animals to PetSmart, setting up and assisting those interested in adopting a pet.
- Annual Garage Sale: Volunteers are needed to help collect and sort items, set up tables, and other tasks. Please check the News & Events page for details about this year’s sale.
- Silent Auction: Volunteers are needed to help set up, assist with the silent auctions, and other tasks. Please check the News & Events page for details about this year’s auction.
- APL Fundraisers: Could be a pig-pickin’, a carwash, a bake sale, or even a fish fry. No matter what the event, volunteers will be needed. Check the News & Events page for details details about upcoming fundraisers.
So, you see, there is ALWAYS something you can help us with. If you are interested in volunteering with APL, please Contact Us to find out how.